Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dominican Republic Baby!

We took Sophie on her first international flight last week! She had her passport ready, her bags packed, and was in her vacation state of mind. I was super nervous about the long day of travel and taking her out of the country. She has been doing so well with her renal reflux and I just knew that she was going to have a problem while we were gone. But, she did great! Not once did I have to take her temperature. For that, I am sure she is grateful! We had to get up at 3AM to get the things in the car and get to the airport. Our flight left at 5:50 AM and security is an entire different game with an infant. She did great on the flight, the long layover, and the second flight. It was so great to meet up with Katie, Jim, and the girls in Miami.

Once we got to Puerto Plata we went to gather our luggage and noticed that Sophie's car seat was missing (which was quickly found) and then her suitcase was no where to be found!!! Not only was it her stuff, but we had thrown a bunch of things in there because our suitcase was too much. Needless to say, Alvaro was ticked off and after about an hour, we were on our way to the house.



The house was beautiful!!! We met our staff as soon as we got there and of course we all wanted to get right into the pool! Katie and I wanted a nice cold frozen cocktail which was quickly prepared by Francesca and Lina. We spent day after day lounging at the pool that was just a few short steps from the house. There was a great waterfall in the pool and we could see the mountains and ocean from the deck. There was a tour helicopter that flew by every 30 minutes or so. Charlotte was terrified about these fly-bys and would clench her entire body up. While it was sad to see her scared, it was funny to see her freeze and wait for it to pass. I think my sweet little Addison didn't stop talking until we departed back in Miami. That kid is f-u-n-n-y and she was so sweet to her sister.



Sophie liked being held in the pool and was not the biggest fan of the float. She fell asleep in the pool one morning, on the porch another day, and on the beach another day. I guess we were too boring for her! She was not the biggest fan of the sand, but I know that will all change as she gets older. It is in her blood to love the beach! The ladies in the house LOVED her and held her every morning while we ate. She thought Addison and Charlotte were the funniest. She would watch them all day and laugh when they dance or jumped around.




It was really cool one day when Elios had a buddy of his climb up the coconut tree and pull some down for us. They used their machete to hack them open and pour out the water into the pitcher. Addison thought it was neat and she even got to hold the giant knife. We had fantastic food each day which would include fried plantains with cheese melted inside of them. The frozen cocktails were yummy, the fresh mango and pineapple was delicious, and the ocean breeze was magnificent!



The flight home was long. We were picked up at 10 AM and didn't arrive at the house until 1:30 AM. Sophie held on like a trooper and only had a miner melt down. The funniest thing was when she took a giant stinky poop right when were about to take off, then fell asleep for over an hour. I was sure we would get a round of applause when I finally went to change her. Bless the baby.

It definitely was different going on vacation with a baby. We had a great time and now I know how she does on longer trips...up at 6 AM each day and laid back! I am so glad that we had the opportunity to go with the Bisceglie's and hope that we can do it again in 2 years since Seabrook will be back in action next year.