Tuesday, August 9, 2011

First Day at Field of Dreams

Well, DC day finally arrived. That would be day care day. I knew that it would come, but I didn't know how fast it would arrive. Sophie's first day at Field of Dreams was today. We got a slow start to the morning even though she was up at 7:00. I think she was excited about school. She has been sleeping in until about 7:45 most of the summer, so today was surprising. I had picked out a comfortable dress for her to wear today. Her things were all packed and her name properly labeled in Sharpie on everything that we own. Once we entered Butterfly Path I knew that she was going to be just fine. The ladies there were so sweet and supportive. They gave us all the time that we needed to get her unpacked with her diapers in her cubby, supplies in her bucket, and her blanket in her crib. After all of that it was time to throw her in the "pen" with all the other children. I set her down on the carpet and she crawled directly to a green ball and didn't look back. So much for the tearful goodbye. She had moved onto bigger and better things. Our neighbor's daughter is also in this class and another little girl that we met the other night. Alvaro told me that it was a good time to leave since she was distracted and seeming to have a great time.



We have Internet access to check-in on her throughout the day. Of course that was the first thing that I did once I got to a computer. After several failed attempts, I finally made it through. There was my little bald headed baby playing with the other children. Not crying. Not looking for her wonderful mother. Having a wonderful time. I was relieved, but a little sad that she didn't need me to be right there with her. I should, and am, happy that she did so well. Alvaro checked on her once during the day too. Later that afternoon I logged in and could see her sleeping in her crib. I was really nervous that she would not nap and we would have a little monster on our hands tonight. But, she took 2 naps and ate a great lunch! I went to pick her up around 3:30 and kind of expected her to run/crawl right into my arms. She did crawl over to me and after I picked her up she leaned over and wanted to get back down and play. I am sure it is exciting to have all new toys to play with and other children to hang around.

The ladies told me that she never shed one tear all day. They said that they were waiting for her to realize that I was gone and that she was in a strange place, but it never happened. They said that her and Megan played together all day. She was climbing on things and making herself right at home. So, overall she did great for a first day in a strange place! I am proud of my little peanut. She is growing up and taking it all in stride. Here's to 4 more years of day care!