Friday, June 3, 2011

The End of School

Well I have finally made it to the end of the school year. The end of my first year teaching 5th grade. The end of my first year as a working parent. I think all of these things combined together made our graduation day very emotional for me. The best way to describe it was that i had a very ugly cry. But not just to a few people but in front of 115 students, roughly 20 faculty members, and all the friends and family that attended the graduation of those 115 students. I had a good group of kids, some of which I have known for several years now. I think that seeing them go made me think more about how fast time goes with our kids. I envisioned myself and Alvaro sitting there watching little Sophie graduate from elementary school. It seems so far away but it really isn't that far off into the future. I sat there and watched my sweet Ashley walk proudly across the stage with Missy and Jim beaming with pride behind the bitter sweet tears. I am excited for the start of summer. I am excited to spend time with my sweet baby girl. She has changed SO much over the past couple of months and especially in the past month.

Sophie is trying her hardest to crawl. Sometimes I think if I just hold her all the time she won't do it. But I know it is inevitable plus who wants to be carrying around a 10 year old! Ha! I don't think she will crawl for long before she starts walking. She loves to stand on your lap and Carmen has been trying to get her to stand holding onto the side of the pack and play. Insert heart skipping beats. She is eating like a champ and even getting some hair. Her swim classes are going great. She is now doing the butterfly across the pool. Ba ha ha! No really, she has gone under the water 3 times and is still not sure about it. When she takes her bath we have to say "Ready, Go" before pouring water on her head so she knows to expect water. Alvaro is in the pool Saturday with her so it should be interesting! Still no teeth but we can see where they are just waiting to come through. She had her first swing in a real swing! She loved it and just talked and talked through the entire time out there.



Carmen has been with us for 2 weeks now. She really has loved being with Sophie. I think Sophie's Spanish is improving each day with her here. I am glad that she finally got to meet our little girl and hopefully it won't be long before Bucky comes.

Sophie is 7 months old today. I cannot believe that she is closer to being a one year old than being a newborn. To quote Betsy, "Time slow down." Hopefully with these lazy summer days we can appreciate the time and take the time to appreciate who is around us!